Monday 4 September 2017

Perfect Pet: The Vow

Continuing their walk through the plains, Sonico has been hoping to lighten the mood with Alleyne given recent events they had just escaped from. Her one method was telling jokes hoping if, to Alleyne, she sounded like she was having fun then the feelings would transfer over.

And so the policeman says "I thought you were going to take that rabbit to the zoo!" The man replied, "I did. We had such a good time we are going to the beach this weekend!"” Sonico begins to laugh out as Alleyne gives her a blank stare. “Because...because they took a trip to the zoo. See? Instead of...”

It's not working and Sonico realizes it as she pushes out a breath of air. She looks back to her pet in effort to try and break the growing awkwardness when she feels something wrap itself around her ankle. Looking down, she sees it's a vine that continues wrapping itself up to her knee quickly before yanking her away toward a giant man eating plant.

“Alleyne!” Sonico shouts as Alleyne springs into action leaping forward smashing through the vine with her staff causing the rabbit to drop back down to the ground. Alleyne gives her staff a short twirl turning toward her the plant ready to finish it off.

That isn't the end of troubles, however, as from that time Sonico is...

Carried off by a giant crow.

“Alleyne!!!”

Woven quickly into a web by a massive spider.

“Alleyne!!!”

And carried toward a bubbling pot by an ogre.

“ALLEYNE!!!”

A moment of peace finally as the two sit late at night by a gentle fire. Even with the calm, the rabbit girl can't help but whimper.

“Why does everything here want to eat me?”

Sonico looks across it at Alleyne looking a little worse for wear and staring back at her. This causes Sonico to lose her nerve as she looks away down at the dirt beneath them.

“I'm sorry. I'm sure tomorrow will be different though.”

It isn't long the next day when Sonico is caught in the stone grip of a MASSIVE golem that only continues to grow out from the ground. Alleyne is pulled up by her leash, which she grips hold of as she tightens her grip of her staff and grits her teeth hard. All the while having to listen to Sonico's screaming.

“This isn't differennnnnnnnnt!!!”



The walk has now fallen silent as Sonico keeps a heavy pace as Alleyne has gone into full guard mode looking all around for danger. To try and break the tension, Sonico looks back speaking under a meek tone of voice.

“Think we're in the clear now, Alleyne. You can probably calm down.” Per usual, Alleyne doesn't answer as Sonico looks down to the passing ground. She can't give up though and maybe if Alleyne noticed her smile she'd calm down. Therefore, Sonico begins to rattle her leash a little to get her attention, an act that works all too well as she comes face to face with the point of Alleyne's staff. Immediately, Sonico throws her hands up in surrender. “Point taken, point taken!”

Alleyne calms down lowering her staff as Sonico only appears more troubled looking across toward her pet.

“We really need a good nights sleep, Alleyne. Safe bed, walls all around, good, filling meal. Crisp...cool water.” Sonico begins to daydream as Alleyne looks over spotting a large house in the distance. To get Sonico's attention toward it, she tugs at the chain and points. “Huh? Oh! Think we should try there?”

Alleyne gives her Mistress a blank stare prompting Sonico to nod.

“Right, right, you don't know what I'm talking about. But...at least I know you and I are on the same page about this. Let's go!”

She rushes off bringing Alleyne into a run behind her as the two hurry along to the house that only seems to get bigger and bigger as they approach. When they arrive they discover that it's a massive manor with a navy haired maid out front sweeping the steps in between the iron gates. As Alleyne examines the house, Sonico eyes the maid and smiles hurrying along up to her.

“Hi!” Sonico waves happily.

“Hello.” The maid replies stoically almost ruining Sonico's energetic demeanor.

“We're travellers trying to get across the plains. My name is Sonico and this is my pet, Alleyne.”

The maid glances from Sonico to Alleyne eyeing her for the longest time before going back to the rabbit girl.

“Lilica.”

“Huh?”

“Stacy.”

“What?”

“My name. It is Lilica Stacy. You introduced yourselves, it is only polite to do the same.”

“Right. That's good manners. I suppose the head of the house taught you that?”

Lilica tightens her grip on the broom, an action that goes perfectly noticed by Alleyne while Sonico is busy looking over the gates.

“The Master and Mistress are not home at the moment. If your business is with them...”

“Huh?” Sonico questions looking back to Lilica. “Oh! Oh no, not with them. Well...maybe.”

“Please explain.”

“We're just looking for a place to spend the night. We've had a pretty rough go of it lately so we're hoping for a real fresh start.”

“Oh. That I can accommodate you of.”

“Really? Your Master or Mistress won't mind?”

“As I have said, they are not home at the moment and if you are just here for the night it won't matter.”

“Suppose not.”

“Right this way.”

Lilica turns making her way up the long walk to the front doors as Sonico leads Alleyne through the gate.

“Whoa...”

“What?” Lilica inquires looking back.

Sonico checks back at the gates. “Just felt a little...weird is all. I don't know. Maybe it's just cause it's my first time going through some. I'm used to more open places.”

“That might be it.”

Lilica answers heading back for the door as Sonico follows. Alleyne looks to the gates as long as her leash will allow having felt the oddity herself.

<=======|==o

The inside was more than what Sonico could have ever imagined. Just one painting was worth more than her entire community, Sonico thought, as even the embroidered doors and golden polished works amazed her. It was so much that she nearly didn't recognize Lilica's voice.

“I hope the meal was to your liking.”

“What? Oh! Yes! It was!” Sonico says patting her stomach while Alleyne takes another sip of her tea remaining unresponsive. “But you didn't have to go to such lengths just to feed us. I mean, a three course meal would have been enough.”

“It is the duty of the house maid to care for not only their Master and Mistress' needs, but the needs of the guests as well. However, if my efforts were not satisfactory-”

“Oh no! Oh no, no. Really, they were. Mm-hm. Right, Alleyne?” Sonico looks over to her elf who simply glances back unaware of the question.

“Is your pet always so quiet?” Lilica asks.

“She just doesn't understand what we're saying is all.” Sonico answers patting Alleyne atop her head and giggling.

“Have you not tried to teach her your words?”

“A little.” Sonico replies. “But it just seems easier to learn hers.”

“Why would that be?” Lilica inquires before bringing a hand over her mouth. “Please forgive me, Miss. Sonico, I am being too forthcoming with my questions.”

“It's okay. Actually, it's just nice being able to talk with someone. I meet so few people along the trip that sometimes I forget what it's like to be social.”

“I see. Then may I ask where you hope your travels take you?”

“Allyne's home in the northern woods. There's a lot about her that I want to find out about and I think that's the only place I can. Plus I think Alleyne is really eager to get back there as well.”

“Ah. Then you are a kind Mistress indeed.”

“What are yours like?” Sonico asks turning back to Lilica stunning her with the question. “Your Master and Mistress. They must really have faith in your abilities.”

“How do you mean?”

“Well, this place is so humongous and you're the only maid working it.”

“Oh. It...has been a great deal of time that I have heard this manor described as such. It just seems small to me.”

“Hm? I guess compared to the world it's kinda tiny. But compared to everything I've seen?”

“It seems a matter of perception.” Lilica answers. “But for now, it is perhaps time for a wash.”

oxx:{}:::::::>

Following the bath, the three exit out into the hall as Sonico, now wrapped up in a bathrobe, presses herself against the wall while Alleyne watches. Lilica stands to the side holding the old pair of clothes for both in her hands.

“I will take these for the wash and have them ready by the morning.” Lilica states with a bow before departing as Alleyne watches her until she's stunned by an arm come around her shoulders.

“Hoo boy. Alleyne! That was some bath!” Sonico shouts. “I am wooooooorn out!”

Sonico starts down the hall with Alleyne still under her arm as the elf gives a double take to one of the paintings. One that, for a moment, looked as if it had been damaged quite severely. But giving it a second look Alleyne finds it to be fine.

Alleyne doesn't lose her guard even as night befalls them bringing Sonico to a snoring sleep. Her body still wrapped up, though barely now, by the housecoat she had been given earlier. She lies on her front snuggled in close to Alleyne with both an arm and a leg over the elf laughing to herself about some dream presently going on. If Sonico hadn't been like this overtop of her, Alleyne confirmed the image she had seen of a maid smirking in the doorway.


Letting out a big stretch in the front hall, Sonico looks to have had the best sleep of her life allowing her to give off a certain radiant glow about herself. She looks over and smiles at Alleyne as Lilica comes down the steps surprised to see her guests up so early.

“A thousand apologies, if I had known you would be up this early I would have started making breakfast.”

“It's okay.” Sonico smiles giving a pleasant wave. “It's probably best we not overstay our welcome. Plus Alleyne seems pretty anxious to get back on the trail. Thank you again for your courteous nature in helping us. Also, be sure to thank your Master and Mistress for being out allowing us to stay.”

Sonico giggles.

“If I see them again, I will be certain to let them know.”

Lilica bows her head as Sonico appears a bit uncertain but shrugs it off and turns for the door reaching out only to stop herself.

“Um...shouldn't doors have handles?”

The two turn at the sounds of metal clanging on the floor seeing the handles dropped by Lilica.

“Gracious me, I will have to have the workman have a look at this problem.”

“Right...well, we'll...just be going out the back way then. C'mon, Alleyne.” Sonico says tugging the leash as she leads the way through a side door only to come back in the same room across the way. “What...”

“Will you be staying for breakfast after all, then? I can have it prepared for you soon, although...one of you, I'm afraid, will not be around to enjoy its splendor.”

“Don't eat me!” Sonico goes into instinct as she ducks down bringing in her ears under her hands as she covers her head. Alleyne, on the other hand, brings out her staff ready once more for combat.

“I do not intend to eat you, rabbit.” Lilica says growing darker. “At least not in the way you would normally perceive as being eaten.”

Alleyne has clearly heard enough as she rushes out for Lilica but only winds up choking herself on her hefty collar before looking back to find Sonico still cowered in her tight ball on the floor.

“Years...centuries...perhaps even a millennia I've been trapped here.” Lilica, having become nothing more than a dark form of energy, waves a bit of herself around as the home surrounding them begins to deteriorate. “I need a vessel to leave. Amin tura ar' mistress. ron hyarya amin yassen sina curse. Y' curse amin will rato be rid en'. Amin nauva leitha!”

Lilica shouts as Alleyne opens her mouth to answer but instead comes the quiet voice of her Mistress.

“Why would they curse you?” She asks drawing a surprised look from Alleyne. “Your Master and Mistress loved you, didn't they?”

“They loved this home.” Lilica answers back drawing Alleyne's attention once more. Somehow, Lilica was able to speak to both and have each understand as Sonico comes back to her feet. “They wanted this house to last and bestowed upon me to be the caretaker. My entire life...less valuable then words on a scrap of paper.”

The house continues to deteriorate, darken in areas and rotten in others. The paintings warped and the gold faded as the cloudy sky could be seen through the multitude of holes.

“I needed an out, I required freedom. So late one night I set fire to this cursed place. The Master and Mistress were both still inside. They couldn't leave and they cursed me before I could. I would be forever bound to this place until someone would guide me out. Now I have two to choose from. I will be free. I must be free!”

Lilica swoops in aiming for Alleyne who covers up with her staff only to be pushed away by Sonico as the dark energy maid consumes the entirety of the rabbit girl much to the elf's fears. Alleyne attempts to reach into the darkness, but no matter how far she goes she can never feel any sense of her Mistress even though the chain of her leash still remains tight. Alleyne shouts out as she continues to reach in.

Mistress!”

/|^;-;^/|

Lilica looks around finding herself in a brightly lit area. There were no walls or furnishings of any kind, or even any sense of placement in the ground yet she stood and felt perfectly stable.

Where...where am I?” She begins to panic as Sonico approaches from behind startling the maid.

I suppose inside me.”

I consumed you. How are you still here?”

I don't know. Maybe...a sense of my own duty keeping me from going? Or maybe when you saw what Alleyne and I have you felt even you couldn't ruin it.”

Perhaps. But if I'm here...it means I am closer to taking control.” Lilica inquires as Sonico shrugs.

I suppose. But you don't need to take anything, Lilica. I'm giving you control.”

What? What do you mean?”

You need a vessel to get out, don't you? Well, I'm offering you my body for that.” Sonico giggles. “Although if you really needed it, you could have just asked.”

Lilica lowers her head, feeling ashamed of herself. “At the beginning...there were rumors. No one would come close, no one would even investigate. As time went on the manor was forgotten. I suppose when I saw the two of you come straight up to the door I had created...”

You kinda lost your cool.”

Lilica nods to Sonico's bizarre to her way of putting it.

I...apologize if I have caused you concern and thank you with all sense of gratitude for this.”

Hey.” Sonico calls out wagging a finger before Lilica can even bow. “You aren't getting this for free. There's something I need you to do for me before we go.”

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Back in the destroyed home, Alleyne starts swinging her staff through the dark void hoping to catch some part of her Mistress until she becomes worn out. However, even then she attempts to brave the traverse only to be knocked back when the darkness suddenly dissipates leaving Sonico standing there looking around as if here for the first time. When she notices Alleyne picking herself up, she turns and offers a hand with a smile.

Mistress...” Alleyne says accepting the hand feeling a deep sense of warmth in the rabbits touch.

Lava amin.” Sonico says surprising Alleyne as she's brought to her feet.

Once Alleyne is up, Sonico brings her hands together to her front speaking further in words that are purely understood by her pet's ears but normal to everyone else. Lilica was in control and her powers were seeping through.

I'm sorry for the trouble I've been causing you as of late.” Sonico begins as Alleyne listens still amazed she could even understand her. “Every problem we've had I've been at the root of it, every set back every delay. Your journey home would be much safer and faster if I weren't around for it.”

Alleyne swallows looking like she might have something to say on the matter but Sonico isn't quite finished yet.

However,” The word works in keeping Alleyne silent. “There is nowhere I would much rather be than by your side as you work to find your way home. I can't guarantee that the rest of our journey will be safe, I can't even guarantee I won't screw up as I have before. All I can hope for is that you're willing to still have me around. So...are you? Are you willing to keep putting up with me?”

Sonico asks hoping for a positive answer watching Alleyne figure things out, wondering if her words have even gotten through or not. Though whens she sees Alleyne nod and smile a little back giving a “Uma” answer, it brings Sonico such joy.

Thank you. Thank you so much, Alleyne. I...”

And then she pauses mid sentence. Concerned, Alleyne tilts her head to the side.

Naa somethien i' matter, mistress?” She asks as Sonico just smiles shaking her head.

It's just time.”

Alleyne steps to the side as Sonico begins walking for the broken entrance.

You aren't going to tell her?” Sonico asks herself in a manner that confuses Alleyne. No longer could she understand the voice of her Mistress as she follows along behind.

No. The emotion is there but not like this, Lilica. When the time is right I want to tell Alleyne my true feelings in my own way. Without a translator, without guidance. I just want it to be us.”

I see. Then I wish you the best of luck in this endeavor, Miss. Sonico.”

Heh, you can just call me Sonico.”

I will.”

Sonico steps outside and looks up for what seems like ages as the clouds slowly begin to part. Once the sun comes down upon her, she turns back to Alleyne and smiles. Seeing the warmth and beauty of her Mistress in the sunlight filled with the relief in the knowledge she was okay, Sonico allows herself a moment of weakness as she blushes smiling back.

~=[,,_,,]:3

Before leaving, Sonico feels the need to pay one last tribute to the maid with a moment of silence. It's soon ended by Alleyne's voice after the lengthy bit.

Lotesse those ya caela suffered sinome utua seere.”

Sonico nods pretending to understand what was said as she turns and gives the leash a tug bringing Alleyne along the path with her.

So cool that we got to talk. We should do that again sometime.” Sonico says with a smile as Alleyne looks to her.

Ta naa sal' difficult rangw- lle.”

Sonico waves a hand in front of herself. “No idea what you just said but I'm glad we're talking. So what do you think we'll run into next? Giants? More ogres? Whatever dangers we find I got the best elf to fend them off!”

Sonico begins laughing as Alleyne just looks at her oddly.

Parts of the manor continue to fall with one beam crashing through the rotted floor bringing forth an eerie glow. Not through a door, but from the skull printed door itself that seems to speak in a whisper.

What is the music of life?

No comments:

Post a Comment