Saturday 13 January 2018

Winter 2018 Anime Season Initial Reactions

***DISCLAIMER***
Something new I'm starting. Reviews! Sort of. Here's not so much a review as it is initial thoughts on series. I kinda wanna do more later. Maybe movies, trailers, games, that sort of thing. Think it might be fun. :)

Impromptu First Looks!!!

That's right, given that a fair set of episodes for my selection from this anime season has come, with both Hugtto! Precure (Feb 4) and Nanatsu no Bitoku (Jan 27) still to come, I'd lay out my quick first impressions upon what I've seen and whether certain series are already set for the chopping block. So you know, a lot of these series I know little about. So...keep that in mind because these aren't really reviews just, again, first impressions.

Toji No Miko
From what I gather there's two things going on. There are creatures that randomly appear in Japan and they're dealt with by sword wielding girls and there's a high group within these individuals whose leader is the target of assassination in the first episode. The same episode that runs an entire tournament. Well, not the entire tournament, just the matches with the characters that will soon matter. It's quick and left me confused wondering just how big a deal it was supposed to be because...five minutes and the entire thing was done. Then the assassination attempt by one of the finalists followed up by her fellow finalist pulling her out to safety. Now we have a fugitive story where pieces will be falling in line. It reminds me of another series I watched a little over a year ago, High School Fleet, where it kinda sorta followed the same premise. It's one I'm curious to see where it goes, even though it follows the same trope of the serious girl-relaxed girl pair up. Sword fighting is nice, when it's on display. So I'll keep this one on my watch list.

Dagashi Kashi
Why...why...WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE 15 MINUTE EPISODES? This season teased me with full Citrus episodes and now they're like “But we're cutting your Hotaru time in half.” Whimper. I don't know. I wanna watch it, I wanna see the hijinx ensue, I know the last season was basically two half episodes per episode...but still! 15 minutes! Don't think I won't drop this. I dropped two, TWO yuri series over the years because of this. But...Hotaru...my time with her...conflicted.

Basilisk Ouka Ninpouchou
This one...I don't know about. Ninja kids; I can deal with. Cliche powers; alright. Forced impressions of incest? No. No, no, no. That's not cool. You can't follow up a badass series like the original Basilisk with...with...this! I gave the whole incest love a try, I watched Eromanga-sensei a couple seasons ago, but I couldn't get through it. I stopped halfway through because it just made me feel uncomfortable. I mean, I have a sister. Sorta. And I love her. But never like this. The ninja skills better impress because I gotta say, the ax is being kept sharp for this one.

Citrus
So if you've been following my Twitter then you know my thoughts on this series. It's full length episodes, they're following the source material, AND it's a drama! I was so excited when the first episode ended on the kiss because that's what it told me, that it would be focusing on their relationship and not the fact that they were just living together. I know, when I posted the video it was...controversial, but I was excited! So yes, I'm keeping this on board. HOWEVER...I will say to those interested that it may be better to binge watch these episodes later because it can be frustrating at times. She likes her, she doesn't like her back. She doesn't like her, she likes her back. It's like...wave length! Get on the same one already!

Slow Start
The premise is still a little new to me, but I'm assuming it's going to be a slice of life given what's gone on in the first episode. Essentially, it's about four girls who become friends, although three of the four are already pretty close (the forth obviously being the main character) and...yeah. It sounds like they're making plans already for the next year, not in real life but in the series, so I'm sure at some point we'll be seeing them one year from this point as they enter their second year of high school. It's funny though, the main character enters high school at 17, which was the age I was when I graduated it. Talk about a...late bloomer into high school. Right? What?

Marchen Madchen
Magical school! Full of girls. Another slice of life one about budding friendships, this one again in the sense of “serious girl-sort of relaxed girl” area this one deals with books. I dunno if it's gonna go all Pagemaster on us or if the books are just...a means of introducing us to the main character. Who later runs through the school naked. But covered so...yeah. Mainly because she's shocked when she gets into the magic world. There's still primary characters in our world so I'm sure there's going to be crossing overs and such in the episodes to come. See how it all goes down.

So there you have it. With the exception of the two aforementioned series, there's my initial reactions to these series. I would have waited, but by then I may have dropped a few or forgot my first thoughts and such. Once those ones come out I'll definitely let you all know those thoughts. Most likely on twitter. So keep tuned to me there!

Claire Lisa Daniels
@KatKisser

No comments:

Post a Comment